Saturday, March 9, 2013

Pension Application of Drury Scott

Southern Campaign American Revolution Pension Statements

Pension Application of Drury Scott: S35644

Transcribed and annotated by C. Leon Harris

State of Kentuckey Fayette Circuit sct. June term 1820

Be it remembered that Drury Scott made oath in open court and produced a
schedule of his property amounting to 60 dollars. according to an Act of Congress passed the 1st
day of May 1820; which is ordered to be entered of record in the words and figures following
towit: District of Kentucky SS. Fayette Circuit. On this 1st day of July 1820, personally appeared
in open court being a court of record for the said district and Circuit of Fayette county a free
man of colour named Drury Scott, aged 59 or 60 years, resident in Clarke county, in said district,
who being first duly sworn according to law; doth on his oath declare that he served in the
Revolutionary War as follows: He enlisted with Captain Hudson in Powhatan County Virginia,
just before the battle of Brandywine [11 Sep 1777] – dont recollect the year – to serve for three
years in the tenth regiment on continental establishment under Colo Stephens [sic: Edward
Stevens] and Major Hanes and Gen’l. Weiden [sic: George Weedon]. He afterwards enlisted for
during the War, under Captain Mountjoy of the same regiment in which he continued till he went
to the south under Colo. Heath [sic: William Heth] and continued to serve under him and Captain
[Thomas] Holt until he was taken prisoner with the latter named officer at Charlestown S.C. [12
May 1780] He then deserted from the British and went under Colo. Febecker [sic: Christian
Febiger] of Pennsylvania to Yorktown when Lord Cornwallis was taken [19 Oct 1781]: was
discharged by Colo. Febecker near Philadelphia; was in the battle of Brandywine and
Germantown [11 Sep 1777]: at the seige of Charleston S.C. and at York. And I do solemnly swear
that I was a resident citizen of the United States on the 18th day of March 1818: and that I have
not since that time by gift, sale, or in any manner disposed of my property or any part thereof,
with intent thereby so to diminish it as to bring myself within the provisions of an act of
Congress, entitled, “An act to provide for certain persons engaged in the land and naval service
of the United States, in the Revolutionary War,” passed on the 18th day of March 1818: and that I
have not nor has any person in trust for me any property or securities, contracts or debts due to
me: nor have I any income other than what is contained in the schedule hereto annexed and by
me subscribed. One horse beast worth $40. Carpenter’s tools $20 amount $60. Dr Webb and
Gen’l Hickman owe me about $25 or 26. Mr McCall owes me about $40 for which I have sued
him, he denying the debt, and it is of course doubtful how much I shall recover, if I get any thing
as law is rather uncertain. I owe about $9. at the cross plains. Also my attornie’s fees and the
sheriffs and Clerks fees in my suit against McCall. My occupation is that of a rough carpenter,
but I can get but little work and if I had more I could not do it my wife is all my family, but
being a slave can render me no assistance Drury hisXmark Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment